Thursday, May 22, 2008

National Burger Month Day 21: Hoisin Beef and Broccoli Burger



I wanted to try doing the rice buns again so I figured another Asian-inspired burger was in the works. We've done Japanese and Korean inspired burgers before. This time we tried Chinese. Sort of. The rice buns were done onigiri yaki style-- I figured that after our sticky experience the last time we used rice, we had better toast the rice this time. I'll give detailed ingredients this time, but will only describe the onigiri yaki process. The rest should be quick and easy.

Stuff for burger:
1/2 lb ground chuck
1/4 cup scallions, chopped
Salt and pepper

Stuff for marinade:
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp dry sherry (Chinese rice wine preferred)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp corn starch
1 tsp canola oil
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
1/2 tsp ginger, grated

Stuff for broccoli:
1 head of broccoli, florets sliced
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp corn starch
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup scallions, chopped
1 tbsp sherry
Some oil for stir frying

Stuff for onigiri yaki:
2 cups short grain rice, steamed
4 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp sake
some canola oil

How-to:
Salt and pepper the ground chuck. Mix into the meat the scallions. This should make about two burgers. In a bowl, mix the marinade ingredients. Marinate the burgers for about 1 hour. While the burgers are marinating, you can prepare your onigiri yaki.

Mix the soy and the sake. Form patties out of the rice. Brush one side lightly with oil and lay it on a preheated heavy skillet (medium temperature). While the oiled side browns, brush some oil on the exposed side of the rice. Then brush some of the soy sauce mixture on top of the rice buns. Once the bottom turns slightly golden, flip the rice buns. Brush some more soy sauce on the now golden top of the rice buns. The bottom should now caramelize. When this happens, flip the burger one more time and wait for that side to caramelize too. And once that side turns brown, you have an onigiri yaki.

As the stir frying takes less than a minute, you can actually start grilling the burgers on medium-high heat for about 4-5 minutes per side. While that goes on, you can stir fry the broccoli. But first, mix the corn starch, sherry and soy sauce. My stir fry tips: The pan should already be very hot-- a lot of Chinese stir frying is really fast. It's all about the high temperature cooking for like a minute. Just toss the broccoli, stir stir stir (with the sauce too), then you're done.

The burgers were pretty good. If I were to do this again, I'd marinate these suckas for a little longer. The onigiri yaki buns were delicious by themselves and I was tempted to just eat them without the burgers. They went well with the broc and burger. Unlike bread though, the rice was pretty damn heavy. The perfectly cooked rice buns hold together fine. But if you dry them out too much (perhaps a result of too hot a pan), they crumble very easily. Good burger. A variation could perhaps be made with black bean sauce instead of hoisin.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hoisin - i don't know what they put in that shit, but it makes EVERYTHING taste better.

especially burgers. yum.

test it comm said...

These hoisin burgers sound really tasty!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh... I am sooooo trying these!

DocChuck said...

Man these burgers sound and look delicious. I got a real hankerin for one of them, but my GF Louise (the Serious Eats executive "chiffOnade") won't fix ANYTHING that is Asian.

So I will give it a whirl myself. I have an old grill (someone had left it on the street for garbage pickup, and I salvaged it) behind the trailer house.

Will let you know how they turn out.

DocChuck said...

WOW! Your burgers sound great.

And just in time! My wife and I were planning to grill Bison burgers this afternoon. Then she got called out on an emergency (Doc's never get any rest on a holiday) . . . so I have the opportunity to change the recipe a bit.

I'm looking forward to the result, and I don't think that using ground bison (we rarely use beef for burgers anymore) will change the taste noticeably.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Wish I could have one of those today...it looks mouth-watering good!

DocChuck said...

I do NOT understand why you let DocChuck post on your website.

My friend Alaina Browne (Mrs. Anal Dash) and I are executives of Serious Eats website, and we have WARNED all food bloggers that DocChuck is POISON.xcs

He will hijack your website if you let him post, so we are demanding that you immediately delete ANYTHING that DocChuck posts.

Mrs. Anal Dash and I (chiffOnade) do NOT understand why you have ignored all of our warnings to the other food blogs.

DocChuck said...

EXCUSE ME, "chiff0nade". What, exactly, are you about?

But back to the burger. As promised, we followed your recipe exactly, except that we used "Great Range" brand ground bison.

The burgers were some of the best that we have ever had.

Thanks for sharing your method.

bagel said...

I occasionally have conversations with myself. Usually it happens at times of extreme stress or extreme intoxication. None of the times these happen yield interesting conversations.