Tuesday, May 04, 2010

National Burger Month 05/04/2010: Prosciutto Cheeseburger


the only good kind of oil spill

So I think I might actually make a month out of this. Of course this would mean that I have to make up the two days I missed-- but that's not a problem.

For the second day in a row, I get to introduce somebody to the wonders of National Burger Month. And that's kind of fun. Of course, being that it's only officially my second day of NBM I'm still laying the infrastructure-- I did not plan on celebrating this month all over again and I have to grease the wheels, so to speak. We haven't really blogged anything here in burger central for a long time and much of my existing burgerblogging systems need to be dusted off. I couldn't find my tripod. I had to get the good china out. And the biggest challenge is that I somehow have to make do without an actual grill this time around. Sean had reclaimed his old BBQ grill and I will have to strategize for a whole month's worth of burgers anew and not have a grill to work with. I do have a few surprises coming down the pike so I am getting a little excited about this whole endeavor. The best part is that I will be personally accountable for fattening a few people who have not ever been party to National Burger Month.

Today's burger is one of those clean out the fridge burgers... I know this is not an elegant way to start NBM, but oh well. The whole thing wasn't planned. It hadn't really entered my mind until Kate brought out her wonderful Santa Cruz Farmer's Market burgers when I visited her place a few days ago-- the night before NBM started. But those awesome burgers planted the seeds. As of last night I really hadn't given this thing much thought. But this morning, in the shower, I started thinking of all the great burgers I could make to continue in the tradition of my last big burger celebration. And so here we are.

I had a bunch of prosciutto in the fridge. And I had some more of that wonderful New Leaf organic ground chuck from grass fed cows. And I had my old stand by recipe (or a variation thereof). And I had a dream.... and that's all it takes to make the world a better place.

And so here it is. For the burger:
1/2 pound organic ground chuck from grass fed cows
a bit of salt
a bit of pepper
half a cup of grated onion with juice
about a teaspoon of worcestershire sauce
about a teaspoon of Sriracha, the sauce of champions
and a generous dusting of garlic powder

Toss it all together and grill or fry at medium-high for about three minutes on each side.

Top with melted cheddar cheese and a few strips of prosciutto.

I use buttered brioche buns for the bread.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

5 comments:

leslie.h said...

"the best part is that i will be personally accountable for fattening a few people..." umm...

today's burger was delicious, thank you.

bagel said...

you're welcome. glad to be of service.

hey! what are you doing here? shouldn't you be writing or something?

Ria Rasalan Gaviria said...

Here we go again...I'm glad your gym is open 24 hours a day!

Sean Bakker Kellogg said...

Hey Mike, I've decided to buy a new grill (which I'm going to be doing either tonight or tomorrow), which means my old grill is available for reclaiming if you are interested. Not sure how we would get it back to Santa Cruz, but I'm sure we can figure something out.

Let me know,
Sean

bagel said...

Thanks for the offer Sean, but I think we're getting a new grill here too. As awesome as yours was, I think I'm getting a not-so-uber-grill so that I won't be too worried about the Santa Cruz salt air as much (and so that we can actually sit on the deck).